In This Issue:
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- What’s New in the Workday Fall Update?
- Change Job Enhancements Coming in October
- Answers to Common Questions Recently Received by askUS Support
- New International Remote Locations in Workday
- Coming Soon! – Add Training Information to Your Workday Homepage
- Training Opportunities – Self-Paced or Instructor-Led
- askUS Release Notes
Important Dates and Deadlines
Thursday, September 17, 2020 @ 3 p.m. – Time will advance to Timekeepers for the Semi-Monthly Mass Advance of Hourly Time process for the 9/1/20 - 9/15/20 time period.
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 @ 1 p.m. – Mass Advance of unsubmitted and in-progress time from May and June 2020 to Timekeepers for review/approval.
Wednesday, September 30, 2020 @ 10 p.m. – Prior Period Time Entry Lock for May and June 2020.
Friday, October 2, 2020 @ 3 p.m. – Time will advance to Timekeepers for the Semi-Monthly Mass Advance of Hourly Time process for the 9/16/20 - 9/30/20 time period.
Tuesday, October 6, 2020 @ noon – CSU Transaction Processing Deadline for the September Monthly Mass End Additional Job / Termination Process.
Thursday, October 8, 2020 by noon – Monthly Mass End Additional Job / Termination Process runs for all fixed-term employees and non-employees positions with an End Employment Date on or before September 30, 2020.
What’s New in the Workday Fall Update?
The Workday Fall Update went into effect on Saturday, September 12, 2020. The update included changes to Staffing/Onboarding, Recruiting, Time and Absence, Payroll, and general user experience updates. A few notable updates include:
- End Job (formerly End Additional Job) now enables HR roles to end a worker's primary job when there is a related Switch Primary Job event that is effective the day after the primary job ends.
- New Frequently Used Actions section in the Related Action menu for workers shows the five most-used related actions for quicker access.
- Recruiting Skills entry is now at the top of the Qualifications page for Job Requisitions, including Evergreen, to help improve the creation of new requisitions.
For more information about each change, including screenshots, continue reading What’s New in Workday?
Change Job Enhancements Coming in October
Following the updated Change Job – Location process released in May 2020, we will release enhancements for twelve additional Change Job Starting Points in early October. These enhancements will provide more concise starting points for initiators, reduce routing when possible, and reduce the number of prompts necessary to complete a transaction. Additional information and updated training documentation will be available at the end of September. To see a complete list of the Change Job Starting Points included in this update, continue reading Enhancements for 12 Change Job Starting Points Coming in October.
Answers to Common Questions Recently Received by askUS Support
How can I avoid creating duplicate pre-hire records?
When hiring, you must select whether to use an existing pre-hire record or create a new pre-hire. This step is where some people will unintentionally create duplicate pre-hire records. During a hire, you input the name or EID when searching for an existing pre-hire. If you do not find an existing record right away, you might assume the person is NOT in Workday. This is a trap! Continue reading, Avoiding the Duplicate Pre-Hire Trap.
Help! Our new hire is unable to select benefits!
The limited window in which to enroll in benefits begins on a worker's start date. The best practice is to make sure the Hire process is final approved, and Onboarding launched in Workday no later than the worker's start date to give them enough time to fill out the required questionnaires and select benefits applicable to their position. For more information, refer to the Onboarding Workday Process Overview (WPO).
I need access to Allocation Details, but I am not a Cost Center Manager. Can I still get access?
The Cost Center Financial Analyst role is view-only in Workday, so this is the recommended role for anyone that needs access to Allocation Details but is not a Cost Center Manager. You should contact the Security Partner for your CSU for the specific process to follow when requesting access. For more information, continue reading Authorization for Allocation Details or visit the Allocation Details Training Resources webpage.
My State and Local Withholding Task is Stuck in my Workday Inbox. What do I do?
State and Local Withholding does not apply to Texas Residents. To learn how to remove it from your inbox, refer to the askUS entry, Delete State and Local Withholding Task. If Workday is requesting that you Complete State and Local Withholding Elections but you reside in a state that does not have a state income tax (such as Texas), refer to the entry, Removing State Tax Elections in Workday.
New International Remote Locations in Workday
New international remote locations are now available in Workday. International locations are captured via Workday's work location fields and tracked on the worker's job or position. To learn how to add an international location, continue reading Adding International Remote Locations in Workday.
Coming Soon! – Add Training Information to Your Workday Homepage
To make it easier to access instructional materials, beginning Monday, September 21, you will have the option to add a new Training Application to your homepage in Workday. The new homepage application will provide links to instructional, process, and guidance documentation for specific Workday topics. Based on feedback from process initiators across campus, we are also reviewing and reorganizing the Workday training webpages to make it easier to find the specific document you need. To learn how to add the new Workday Training Information Application, refer to this entry in the askUS Knowledge Base.
Training Opportunities – Self-Paced or Instructor-Led
askUS Self-Paced Learning allows users to engage in training lessons and exercises at their own pace and convenience. (No registration required to begin learning.)
- Workday for Security Partners is intended for those assigned the Security Partner role in Workday. More information
- Workday Fundamentals is designed for individuals who have a Workday security role that supports workers or an analyst role with the ability to view data. More information
Virtual Instructor-Led Training (ILT) courses are held via Zoom video conferencing to support the Workday users’ continued learning needs. (Requires registration via UTLearn.)
Virtual ILT Schedule
- October 6 (9-11 a.m.) – Workday Hire & Onboarding
- October 7 (11 a.m.-noon) – Electronic Office Management (EOM) Q&A
- October 13 (9-11 a.m.) – Workday Candidate Management
- October 14-15 (9-11 a.m.) – Workday Changes During Employment Virtual (2-part class)
- October 21 (9-11 a.m.) – Advanced Electronic Office Management (EOM) - Dean/VP Perspective
- October 28 (9-10:30 a.m.) – Advanced Electronic Office Management (EOM) - Processing Perspective
- November 10 (9-11 a.m.) – Workday Costing Basics
- November 11-12 - (9-11 a.m.) – Workday Multiple Jobs & Additional Work (2-part class)
askUS Release Notes
The weekly askUS Release Notes email provides information about improvements, fixes, known issues, and guidance for UT’s HR/Payroll and Financial systems. Subscribe to receive release notes via email. Unsure how to subscribe? Check out our quick how-to guide.