Workday will be the University’s new system for human capital management, payroll, and financials and will replace all mainframe programs that currently service the University’s business needs. Led by the Associate Vice President of Administrative Systems Modernization, Dana Cook, Workday is currently being implemented by the Administrative Systems Modernization Program (ASMP).
What is Workday?
Workday is a new generation of cloud-based applications that service human resources, payroll, and financial needs for organizations. Many Universities are adopting Workday because of its ease of use, the flexibility the system provides, low cost of ownership, focus on providing functionality specific to higher education, and the collaborative nature of the functionality design process. Watch our Workday Basic Navigation video for a preview of the system (EID required).
Workday has a modern interface and delivers services over the Internet. Workday stores everything in the cloud, eliminating the need to store and protect data locally. While we cannot customize the software to be unique to the University, Workday has many options to reflect our preferred business processes and functionality.
Workday also provides us the opportunity to work collaboratively with other higher education clients to develop functionality to suit the unique needs of higher education. This means Workday allows the flexibility and room to grow.
Benefits of Workday
- Software as a Service (SaaS): Software and data are delivered to users over the Internet. Sometimes referred to as “cloud” application services, there is no local installation of hardware or software, and Workday is responsible for infrastructure and security.
- Focus on Higher Education: Along with other clients, the University is an active participant in shaping the future of Workday’s higher education services.
- Mobile Capability: You can perform your necessary HR and financial actions on the go using your phone or tablet.
- Improved Reporting: Workday will provide data and reporting far beyond our current capabilities, giving supervisors and unit leadership a better view of information they need to make important decisions for their units.
- Collaboration: All of Workday’s 700+ clients are using the same version of their software, resulting in a community with unprecedented levels of communication and collaboration.
- Compatibility: Workday uses web services that will easily integrate with other University applications or third-party applications we may add in the future
Universities that are using Workday or currently implementing Workday include:
- Arizona State University
- Brown University
- Cornell University
- Georgetown University
- Louisiana State University
- New York University
- Texas A&M System
- The Ohio State University
- University of Rochester
- University of Miami
- University of Southern California
- Yale University