How to process Student Workers who change departments

How do I process a student worker who is leaving to accept another student job in a different department?

When a student worker has a job that is currently active and takes another student job, two questions will determine your course of action. 

  1. Will the new job be the student's only job? If there is no break in service (the old job ends one day and then the new job starts the following day), coordinate with the student’s new department to perform a transfer. Remember, the receiving department must initiate the transfer. The transfer will avoid a termination and rehire, which may require onboarding and an I-9 to be completed once again. If there will be a break in service, then you will need to process a termination and the student’s new department will need to process a hire.
  2. Will the new job be an additional job? If the student will have two jobs at the same time even if it is only for a few days, then the move is treated as an Add Job. When there is any overlap between the old and new jobs, the new department should use the Add Job process. A Switch Primary Job process will be needed to make the new job the student’s primary job. The Switch Primary Job can be initiated by either the old or the new department. Finally, the old department will need to do an End Job on their original job.

Related Resources

Need assistance? Just askUS!

Feb. 1, 2021